Adams Mission Station
The Adams Mission Station was established in Amanzimtoti, Natal, South Africa in 1847 by Dr. Newton Adams, under the American Board of Comissioners for Foreign Missions. The Amanzimtoti Institute was started at Adams Mission Station by the A.B.C.F.M in 1853. It included a Theological Seminary, Industrial Training School, High School, and later a Music School and Teacher Training College. The Amanzimtoti Institue began admitting female students in 1909, while Reverend LeRoy was president. Its name was changed to Adams College in approximately 1940.14
Reverend LeRoy mentions in various correspondence from his time at Amanzimtoti his hope for carrying the message of Oberlin to all classes of people. Oberlin’s motto at the time was “Learning and Labor.” LeRoy clearly translated this Oberlin mission statement to the Adams Mission Station in South Africa as he nurtured the students in the industrial training schools and ensured they learned valuable, marketable industrial job skills alongside a traditional academic curriculum.